- 1 a (a's) [countable, uncountable] the first letter of the English alphabet “Apple” begins with (an) A/“A.”
- 2 [countable, uncountable] (music) the 6th note in the scale of C major
- 3 [countable, uncountable] the highest grade that a student can get for a course, test, or piece of work She got an A inBiology. He had straight A's (= nothing but A's) all through high school.
- 4[uncountable] used to represent the first of two or more possibilities Shall we go for plan A or plan B?
- 5[uncountable] used to represent a person, for example in an imagined situation or to hide their identity Assume A knows B is guilty. see also A-frame Idioms
NAmE//eɪ//(pl. As, A's
from one place to another For me a car is just a means of getting from A to B.
from A to Bjump to other results
including everything there is to know about something He knew his subject from A to Z.
from A to Zjump to other results