- 1used to emphasize that something is completely true You're absolutely right. He made it absolutely clear. I'm not absolutely certain I posted it. It was absolutely pouring with rain.
- 2absolutely no…, absolutely nothing used to emphasize something negative She did absolutely no work. There's absolutely nothing more the doctors can do.
- 3 used with adjectives or verbs that express strong feelings or extreme qualities to mean “extremely” I was absolutely furious with him. She absolutely adores you. He's an absolutely fantastic cook.
- 4NAmE//ˌæbsəˈlutli//used to emphasize that you agree with someone, or to give someone permission to do something “They could have told us, couldn't they?” “Absolutely!” “Can we leave a little early?” “Absolutely!”
- 5absolutely not used to emphasize that you strongly disagree with someone, or to refuse permission “Was it any good?” “No, absolutely not.”
adverbjump to other results