- 1 very serious or severe There is an acute shortage of water. acute pain the world's acute environmental problems acute competition for jobs The scandal was an acute embarrassment for the president.
- 2an acute illness is one that has quickly become severe and dangerous acute appendicitis opposite chronic
- 3 (of the senses) very sensitive and well developed synonym keen Dogs have an acute sense of smell.
- 4intelligent and quick to notice and understand things He is an acute observer of the social scene. Her judgment is acute.
- 5(geometry) (of an angle) less than 90°
acutenessnoun[uncountable]jump to other results