- 1 [countable, uncountable] the way that someone or something looks on the outside; what someone or something seems to be the physical/outward/external appearance of something She had never been greatly concerned about her appearance. The dog was similar in appearance to a spaniel. He gave every appearance of (= seemed very much to be ) enjoying himself. Judging by appearances can be misleading. By all appearances (= as far as people could tell), he was dead. When she lost all her money, she was determined to keep up appearances (= hide the true situation and pretend that everything was going well). someone or something arriving
- 2 [countable, usually singular] the fact of someone or something arriving, especially when it is not expected The sudden appearance of a security guard caused them to drop the money and run. I don't want to go to the party, but I suppose I should make an appearance (= go there for a short time).
- 3[countable, usually singular] the moment at which something begins to exist or starts to be seen or used the early appearance of daffodils in spring the appearance of organic vegetables in the supermarkets in public
- 4 [countable] an act of appearing in public, especially as a performer, politician, etc., or in court President Obama makes frequent public appearances. Fans were disappointed that the actress didn't make a personal appearance at the premiere. the defendant's appearance in court being published/broadcast
- 5[countable, usually singular] an act of being published or broadcast the appearance of claims about the minister's private life in the press Topic CollocationsPhysical AppearanceA person may be described as having:eyes (bright) blue/green/(dark/light) brown/hazel eyes deep-set/sunken/bulging/protruding eyes small/beady/sparkling/twinkling/shifty eyes piercing/penetrating/steely eyes bloodshot/watery/puffy eyes bushy/thick/dark/raised/arched eyebrows long/dark/thick/curly/false eyelashes/lashesface a flat/bulbous/pointed/sharp/snub nose a straight/a pointy/a Roman/an aquiline nose full/thick/thin/pouty lips dry/chapped/cracked lips flushed/rosy/red/ruddy/pale cheeks soft/chubby/sunken cheeks white/perfect/crooked/protruding teeth a large/high/broad/wide forehead a strong/weak/pointed/double chin a long/full/bushy/wispy beard a full/thin goatee a long/thin/bushy/droopy/handlebar/pencil mustachehair and skin pale/fair/olive/dark/tanned skin dry/oily/smooth/rough/leathery/wrinkled skin a dark/pale/light/sallow/ruddy/olive/swarthy/clear complexion deep/fine/small/facial wrinkles blonde/blond/fair/(light/dark) brown/(jet-)black/auburn/red/ginger/gray hair straight/curly/wavy/frizzy/spiky hair thick/thin/fine/bushy/thinning hair dyed/bleached/soft/silky/dry/greasy/shiny hair long/short/shoulder-length/cropped hair a bald/balding/shaved head a receding hairline a bald patch/spot a side/center partbody a long/short/thick/slender/ (disapproving) scrawny neck broad/narrow/sloping/rounded/hunched shoulders a bare/broad/muscular/small/large chest a flat/round/swollen/bulging stomach a small/tiny/narrow/slim/slender/28-inch waist big/wide/narrow/slim hips a straight/bent/arched/broad/hairy back thin/slender/muscular arms big/large/small/manicured/calloused/gloved hands long/short/fat/slender/delicate/bony fingers long/muscular/hairy/shapely/ (informal) (often disapproving) skinny/spindly legs muscular/chubby/ (informal) (disapproving) flabby thighs/calves big/little/small/dainty/wide/narrow/bare feet a good/slim/slender/hourglass figure be of slim/medium/average/large/athletic/stocky build
way something looks/seems
nounjump to other results