- 1 [countable, uncountable] a formal (often written) request for something, such as a job, permission to do something, or admission to (= permission to enter) a college or university a visa/passport application an application form (= a piece of paper on which to apply for something) application for something/to do something an application for membership/a loan/a license application to somebody (for something/to do something) His application to the court for bail has been refused. practical use
- 2 [uncountable, countable] application (of something) (to something) the practical use of something, especially a theory, discovery, etc. the application of new technology to teaching The invention would have a wide range of applications in industry. of paint/cream
- 3[countable, uncountable] an act of putting or spreading something, such as paint or medical creams, onto something else lotion for external application only (= to be put on the skin, not swallowed) It took three applications of paint to cover the graffiti. of rule/law
- 4[uncountable] the act of making a rule, etc. operate or become effective strict application of the law computing
- 5 [countable] (abbreviation app) a program designed to do a particular job; a piece of software a database application hard work
- 6[uncountable] (formal) determination to work hard at something; great effort Success as a writer demands great application.
nounjump to other results