- 1 [countable] part of a place, town, etc., or a region of a country or the world mountainous/desert areas rural/urban/inner-city areas There is heavy traffic in the downtown area tonight. She knows the local area very well. John is the Cleveland area manager. Wreckage from the plane was scattered over a wide area. The farm and surrounding area were flooded. see also catchment area, conservation area
- 2[countable] a part of a room, building, or particular space that is used for a special purpose the hotel reception area a play/parking/dining area see also penalty area, rest area Thesaurusplacesite area position point location scene spot venueThese are all words for a particular area or part of an area, especially one used for a particular purpose or where something is situated or happens.place a particular point, area, city, town, building, etc., especially one used for a particular purpose or where a particular thing happens:This would be a good place for a picnic.site the place where something, especially a building, is or will be situated; a place where something happened or that is used for a particular purpose:They've chosen a site for the new school.area a part of a room, building, or particular space that is used for a special purpose; a particular place on an object:the hotel reception area Move the cursor to a blank area on the screen.position the place where a person or thing is situated; the place where someone or something is meant to be:From his position at the top of the hill, he could see the harbor. The position of someone or something is often temporary: the place where the person or thing is at a particular time.point a particular place within an area, where something happens or is supposed to happen:the point at which the river divideslocation a place where something happens or exists, especially a place that is not named or not known:The company is moving to a new location.scene a place where something happens, especially something unpleasant:the scene of the accidentspot a particular point or area, especially one that has a particular character or where something particular happens:I proposed to your mother on this very spot 50 years ago.venue the place where people meet for an organized event such as a performance or a sports event:Please note the change of venue for this event.Patterns at a/the place/site/position/point/location/scene/spot/venue in a(n) place/area/position/location/venue the place/site/point/location/spot/venue where… the right place/site/position/location/spot/venue a central site/position/location/venue the/something's exact/precise place/site/position/point/location/spot particular place
- 3[countable] a particular place on an object Move the cursor to a blank area of the computer screen. The tumor had not spread to other areas of the body. subject/activity
- 4[countable] area (of something) a particular subject or activity, or an aspect of it the areas of training and development Finance is Mark's area. The big growth area of recent years has been in health clubs. see also gray area measurement
- 5 [countable, uncountable] the amount of space covered by a flat surface or piece of land, described as a measurement the area of a triangle The room is 120 square feet in area. Minnesota occupies a total area of 86,943 square miles.
part of place
nounjump to other results