- 1not skillfully or not carefully to play/sing badly badly designed/organized opposite well
- 2 not successfully Things have been going badly. Idid badly (= was not successful) on my exams. opposite well
- 3not in an acceptable way to behave/sleep badly badly paid/treated The kids took the dog's death very badly (= they were very unhappy). opposite well
- 4 in a way that makes people get a bad opinion about something The economic crisis reflects badly on the government's policies. She's only trying to help, so don't think badly of her. opposite well
- 5used to emphasize how much you want, need, etc. someone or something The building is badly in need of repair. They wanted to win so badly. I miss her badly.
- 6 used to emphasize how serious a situation or an event is badly damaged/injured/hurt The country has been badly affected by recession.
adverbjump to other results