- 1a sudden loud noise The door swung shut with a bang. Suddenly there was a loud bang and a puff of smoke. see also big bang
- 2a sudden painful blow on a part of the body a bang on the head
- 3bangs [plural] the front part of someone's hair that is cut so that it hangs over their forehead
- 4(informal) (computing) the symbol ( ! ) Idioms
- 1 very successfully The party went off with a bang.
- 2in a way that everyone notices; with a powerful effect The team won their last four games, ending the season with a bang.
if you get more, better, etc. bang for your buck, you get better value for the money you spend or the effort you put in to something
bang for your buck (informal)jump to other results
to return, or to make someone return, to a normal way of thinking or behaving after a time when they have been very excited, not very practical, etc. see also down-to-earth
come back/down to earth (with a bang/bump), bring somebody (back) down to earth (with a bang/bump) (informal)jump to other results
with a bang (informal)jump to other results