- 1[countable] a part of the sea, or of a large lake, partly surrounded by a wide curve of the land the Bay of Bengal Hudson Bay a magnificent view across the bay
- 2 [countable] a marked section of ground either inside or outside a building, for example for a vehicle to park in, for storing things, etc. a parking/loading bay Put the equipment in the cargo bay. see also sickbay
- 3 [countable] a curved area of a room or building that sticks out from the rest of the building see also bay window
- 4[countable] a horse of a dark brown color He was riding a big bay.
- 5(also sweet bay) [countable] = bay tree
- 6[uncountable] an herb used to give flavor to food, made of the leaves of the bay tree Idioms
nounjump to other results
to prevent an enemy from coming close or a problem from having a bad effect synonym ward off I'm trying to keep my creditors at bay. Charlotte bit her lip to hold the tears at bay.
hold/keep somebody/something at bayjump to other results