- 1having the color of a clear sky or the ocean on a clear day piercing blue eyes a blue shirt
- 2(of a person or part of the body) looking slightly blue in color because the person is cold or cannot breathe easily Her hands were blue with cold.
- 3(informal) sad synonym depressed He'd been feeling blue all week.
- 4 movies, jokes, or stories that are blue are about sex a blue movie
- 5 (politics) (of an area in the U.S.) having more people who vote for the Democratic candidate than the Republican one blue states/counties opposite red see also true-blue
- noun [uncountable, singular] the blueness of the waterIdioms
adjectivejump to other results
bluenessjump to other results
in a difficult situation where there are two equally unpleasant or unacceptable choices
between the devil and the deep blue seajump to other results
(to hit someone until they are) covered with bruises (= blue, brown, or purple marks on the body)
(beat somebody) black and bluejump to other results
to try to do something as hard and as long as you possibly can but without success You can argue till you're blue in the face, but you won't change my mind.
do something till you are blue in the face (informal)jump to other results
once in a blue moon (informal)jump to other results