Phrasal Verbsphrasal verbjump to other results
break intophrasal verb
- 1 to enter a building by force; to open a car, etc. by force Our car was broken into last week. related noun break-in
- 2 to begin laughing, singing, etc. suddenly As the president's car pulled up, the crowd broke into loud applause.
- 3to suddenly start running; to start running faster than before He broke into a run when he saw the police. Her horse broke into a trot.
- 4 to open and use something that has been kept for an emergency They had to break into the emergency food supplies.
- 5to be successful when you get involved in something The company is having difficulty breaking into new markets.