Phrasal Verbsphrasal verbjump to other results
break upphrasal verb
- 1to separate into smaller pieces The ship broke up on the rocks.
- 2 to come to an end Their marriage has broken up. related noun breakup
- 3to go away in different directions The meeting broke up at eleven o'clock.
- 4 to laugh very hard
- 5 when a person who is talking on a cell phone breaks up, you can no longer hear them clearly because the signal has been interrupted
to make someone laugh very hard Woody Allen just breaks me up.jump to other results
- 1to make something separate into smaller pieces; to divide something into smaller parts The ship was broken up for scrap metal. Sentences can be broken up into clauses.
- 2 to end a relationship, a company, etc. They decided to break up the partnership. related noun breakup
- 3to make people leave something or stop doing something, especially by using force Police were called in to break up the fight.