- 1[countable] the male of any animal in the cow family a bull neck (= a short thick neck like a bull ) compare bullock, cow, ox, steer
- 2[countable] the male of the elephant, whale, and some other large animals compare cow
- 3[countable] (finance) a person who buys shares in a company, hoping to sell them soon afterward at a higher price compare bear
- 4[countable] an official order or statement from the pope (= the head of the Roman Catholic Church) a papal bull
- 5 [uncountable] (slang) nonsense That's a load of bull!
- 6[countable] = bull's-eye see also cock and bull story Idioms
a person who is careless, or who moves or acts in a rough or awkward way, in a place or situation where skill and care are needed You're not going to go storming in there like a bull in a china shop, are you?
a bull in a china shopjump to other results
something that is likely to make someone very angry
like waving a red flag in front of a bulljump to other results
to have a conversation in an informal way synonym chat We sat around in the bar, shooting the breeze.
shoot the breeze/bull (informal)jump to other results
to face a difficult or dangerous situation directly and with courage Nora decided to take the bull by the horns and organize things herself.
take the bull by the hornsjump to other results