- 1(of feelings, etc.) very strong; extreme a burning desire to win He's always had a burning ambition to start his own business.
- 2a burning issue/question a very important and urgent problem one of the burning issues of the day
- 3(of pain, etc.) very strong and giving a feeling of burning Thesauruspainfulsore raw inflamed infected excruciating burning itchyThese words all describe something that causes you physical pain.painful causing you physical pain Painful can describe a part of the body, an illness, an injury, a treatment, or a death:Is your knee still painful? a series of painful injections a slow and painful deathsore (of a part of the body) painful and often red, especially because of infection or being used too much:a sore throat Their feet were sore after hours of walking.raw (of a part of the body) red and painful, for example because of an infection or because the skin has been damaged:The skin on her heels had been rubbed raw.inflamed (of a part of the body) painful, swollen, and hot because of an infection or injury:If your tonsils become inflamed, you should see a doctor.infected containing harmful bacteria:The wound became infected.excruciating extremely painful Excruciating can describe feelings, treatments, or death but not parts of the body:an excruciating throat/back/knee.burning painful and giving a feeling of being very hot:She felt a burning sensation in her throat.itchy giving an uncomfortable feeling on your skin that makes you want to scratch; having this feeling:an itchy rash I feel itchy all over.Patterns sore/inflamed/itchy eyes raw/inflamed/itchy skin a painful/an excruciating death a painful/burning sensation excruciating/burning pain
- 4very hot; looking and feeling very hot the burning sun her burning face
- 5burning eyes (literary) eyes that seem to be staring at you very hard
NAmE//ˈbərnɪŋ//[only before noun]