- 1a small round piece of metal, plastic, etc. that is sewn onto a piece of clothing and used for fastening two parts together to button/unbutton your buttons to sew on a button shirt buttons a row of gold buttons
- 2a small part of a machine that you press to make it work the play/stop/rewind button Adam pressed a button and waited for the elevator. Choose “printer” from the menu and click with the right mouse button. The windows slide down at the touch of a button. see also push-button
- 3 a small area on a computer screen that you click on to make it do something Click on the back button to go back to the previous screen.
- 4 a round, flat, metal pin, especially one with a message printed on it He wore a button saying “Life begins at 40!” see also belly button Idioms
- 1at exactly the right time or at the exact time mentioned We arrived at 4 o'clock on the button.
- 2exactly right You're on the button there!
nounjump to other results
on the button (informal)jump to other results
to do exactly the right things to please someone a new satirical comedy show that pushes all the right buttons
push all the (right) buttons (informal)jump to other results
to make someone react in either a positive or a negative way I've known him for years, but I still don't know what pushes his buttons.
push somebody's buttons (informal)jump to other results