- 1[countable] (in compounds) a room used for the particular purpose that is mentioned a burial chamber Divers transfer from the water to a decompression chamber. see also gas chamber
- 2[countable] a space under the ground that is almost completely closed on all sides They found themselves in a vast underground chamber.
- 3[countable] a space in the body, in a plant, or in a machine, that is separated from the rest the chambers of the heart the rocket's combustion chamber the chamber of a gun (= the part that holds the bullets)
- 4chambers [plural] an office used by a judge
- 5[countable] a room in a public building that is used for formal meetings the Senate/House chamber see also Chamber of Commerce
- 6[countable] one of the parts of a parliament the Chamber of Deputies in the Italian parliament Under Senate rules, the chamber must vote on the bill by this Friday.
- 7[countable] (old use) a bedroom or private room Lady Eleanor was found dead in her chamber.
nounjump to other results