- 1 a line, route, or trip around a place The race ended with eight laps of a downtown circuit. The earth takes a year to make a circuit of (= go around) the sun.
- 2the complete path of wires and equipment along which an electric current flows an electrical circuit a circuit diagram (= one showing all the connections in the different parts of the circuit ) see also integrated circuit, printed circuit, short circuit
- 3 (in sports) a series of games or matches in which the same players regularly take part the women's tennis circuit
- 4a track for cars or motorcycles to race around
- 5a series of places or events of a particular kind at which the same people appear or take part the lecture/cabaret circuit see also closed-circuit television
- 6 a regular trip made by a judge to hear court cases in each of the courts of law in a particular area a circuit court/judge