- 1 [countable] a large and important town one of the world's most beautiful cities a major city the country's capital city Mexico City Topic CollocationsTown and Countrytown live in a city/a town/an urban environment/the suburbs/the (housing) projects/shanty towns/slums/ (informal) a concrete jungle/the ghetto live downtown/in the downtown area/uptown/in midtown (Manhattan) enjoy/like the hectic pace of life/the hustle and bustle of city life cope with the stress/pressures of urban life get caught up in the rat race prefer/seek the anonymity of life in a big city be drawn to/resist the lure of the big city head for the bright lights (of the big city/New York) enjoy/love the vibrant/lively nightlife have/be close to all the amenities be surrounded by towering skyscrapers/soulless suburban sprawl use/travel by/rely on public transportation put up with/get stuck in/sit in massive/huge/heavy/endless/constant traffic jams tackle/ease/reduce/relieve/alleviate the heavy/severe (traffic) congestion be affected by/choked with/damaged by pollutioncountry live in a village/the countryside/an isolated area/a rural backwater/ (informal) the sticks/the boondocks enjoy/like the relaxed/slower pace of life enjoy/love/explore the great outdoors look for/find/get/enjoy a little peace and quiet need/want to get back/closer to nature be surrounded by open/unspoiled/picturesque/peaceful countryside escape/quit/get out of/leave the rat race seek/achieve a better/healthy work-life balance downshift to a less stressful life build/seek/start a new life in the country pull up stakes and move to/head for… create/build/foster a strong sense of community depend on/be employed in/work in agriculture live off/farm/work the land tackle/address the problem of rural/small-town unemployment see also inner city, sister city
- 2 [countable] a town that has been given special rights by the state government an unincorporated area within the City of Monterey
- 3[singular] all the people who live in a city The city turned out to welcome the victorious team home.
- 4[countable] the government or employees of a city The city is working on implementing more recycling. city workers
- 5 [uncountable] (informal) used after other nouns to say that a place is full of a particular thing It's not exactly fun city here, is it? cardboard city (= full of people living in cardboard boxes because they have nowhere else to live)
nounjump to other results