- 1[countable] a group of objects, often of the same sort, that have been collected a stamp/coin, etc. collection The painting comes from his private collection.
- 2 [countable] a group of objects or people There was a collection of books and shoes on the floor. There is always a strange collection of runners in the New York Marathon. taking away/bringing together
- 3 [countable, uncountable] an act of taking something away from a place; an act of bringing things together into one place garbage/trash collection The first stage in research is data collection. compare pickup poems/stories/music
- 4[countable] a group of poems, stories, or pieces of music published together as one book or disk a collection of stories by women writers a collection of favorite Christmas music money
- 5 [countable] an act of collecting money to help a charity or during a church service; the money collected a house-to-house collection for youth organizations The total collection last week amounted to $250. new clothes
- 6 [countable] a line of new clothes or items for the home that are designed, made, and offered for sale, often for a particular season Armani's stunning new fall collection compare fashion
group of objects/people
nounjump to other results