- 1[usually before noun] connected with the buying and selling of goods and services the commercial heart of the city She is developing the commercial side of the organization. a commercial vehicle (= one that is used for carrying goods or passengers who pay) commercial baby foods the first commercial flights across the Atlantic Thesauruseconomicfinancial commercial monetary fiscalThese words all describe activities or situations that are connected with the use of money, especially by a business or country.economic connected with the trade, industry, and development of wealth of a country, an area, or a society:This book deals with the social, economic, and political issues of the period.financial connected with money and finance:She had gotten into financial difficulties. Tokyo is a major financial center.commercial connected with the buying and selling of goods and services:We rent both commercial and residential properties.monetary (formal or finance) connected with money, especially all the money in a country:The Federal Reserve Bank controls monetary policy in the U.S.fiscal (finance) connected with government or public money, especially taxes:The fiscal year begins in July.Patterns economic/financial/commercial/monetary/fiscal affairs/decisions the economic/financial/commercial/fiscal climate the economic/financial/commercial side of something an economic/financial/commercial center
- 2[only before noun] making or intended to make a profit The movie was not a commercial success (= did not make money). Thesaurussuccessfulprofitable commercial lucrativeThese words all describe someone or something that is making or is likely to make money.successful making a lot of money, especially by being popular:The play was very successful on Broadway. The company has had another successful year.profitable making a profit:a highly profitable businesscommercial [only before noun] making or intended to make a profit:The movie was not a commercial success (= made no profit).lucrative (of business or work) producing or paying a large amount of money; making a large profit:They do a lot of business in lucrative overseas markets.Patterns a successful/profitable/lucrative business a successful/profitable/lucrative year
- 3(disapproving) more concerned with profit and being popular than with quality Their more recent music is far too commercial. The show was unashamedly commercial, with little artistic merit.
- 4(of television or radio) paid for by the money charged for broadcasting advertisements a commercial radio station/TV channel Topic CollocationsTelevisionwatching watch television/TV/a show/a program/a documentary/a pilot/a rerun/a repeat see an ad/a commercial/the news/the weather catch/miss a show/a program/an episode/the news pick up/reach for/grab/lose the remote (control) change channels surf (through)/flip through the channels sit in front of/turn on/turn off the television/the TV/the TV set have/install satellite (TV)/cable (TV)/a satellite dishshowing show a program/a documentary/an ad/a commercial/a prime-time sitcom/drama run an ad/a commercial/a movie broadcast/air/repeat a show/a program/a documentary/an episode/a series go out/air/be recorded live attract/draw (in)/pull (in) viewers be a hit with viewers/audiences/critics get (low/high) ratingsappearing be on/appear on television/TV/a TV show take part in a call-in/a game show/a quiz show/a reality TV show host a show/a program/a series/a game show/a quiz show/a (late-night/daytime) talk show be/become/work as a talk-show host/sports commentator/news anchor present the news appear/perform live (on TV)program-making do/film/make a show/a program/a documentary/an episode/a pilot/a series/an ad/a commercial work on a soap (opera)/a pilot (episode)/a sitcom write/produce a drama/sitcom/spin-off/comedy series
- NAmE//kəˈmərʃəli//adverb commercially produced/grown/developed The product is not yet commercially available. His invention was not commercially successful. Designers are becoming more and more commercially minded.
adjectivejump to other results
commerciallyjump to other results