- 1 Commission [countable] an official group of people who have been given responsibility to control something, or to find out about something, usually for the government the Public Service Commission a commission on human rights money
- 2 [uncountable, countable] an amount of money that is paid to someone for selling goods and which increases with the amount of goods that are sold You get a 10% commission on everything you sell. He earned $2,000 in commission last month. In this job you work on commission (= are paid according to the amount you sell).
- 3[uncountable] an amount of money that is charged by a bank, etc. for providing a particular service A 1% commission is charged for exchanging money. for art/music, etc.
- 4[countable] a formal request to someone to design or make a piece of work such as a building or a painting a commission to design the new parliament building in armed forces
- 5[countable] an officer's position in the armed forces He resigned his commission when he got married. of crime
- 6[uncountable] (formal) the act of doing something wrong or illegal the commission of a crime Idioms
nounjump to other results
available/not available to be used Several of the airline's planes are temporarily out of commission and undergoing safety checks.
in/out of commissionjump to other results