- 1 smaller than is usual for things of the same kind a compact camera The notebook computer is small and compact and weighs only 3.6lbs.
- 2using or filling only a small amount of space The kitchen was compact but well equipped.
- 3closely and firmly packed together a compact mass of earth The gray clouds had become more compact and the sky suddenly grew dark.
- 4(of a person or an animal) small and strong He had a compact and muscular body.
- He had the natural compactness of a good ball player.
compactlyjump to other results
compactness noun [uncountable]jump to other results