- 1[uncountable] the process or method of building or making something, especially roads, buildings, bridges, etc. the construction industry road construction Work has begun on the construction of the new airport. Our new offices are still under construction (= being built). the construction of a new database
- 2[uncountable] the way that something has been built or made strong in construction He blamed the accident on shoddy construction. Thesaurusstructureframework form composition construction fabricThese are all words for the way the different parts of something combine together or the way that something has been made.structure the way in which the parts of something are connected together or arranged; a particular arrangement of parts:the structure of the building/human body the social structure of society the grammatical structures of a language a salary structureframework a set of beliefs, ideas, or rules that forms the basis of a system or society:The report provides a framework for further research.form the arrangement of parts in a whole, especially in a work of art or piece of writing:As a photographer, shape and form were more important to him than color.composition (somewhat formal) the different parts or people that combine to form something; the way in which they combine:recent changes in the composition of our workforceconstruction the way that something has been built or made:He blamed the accident on shoddy construction.fabric (somewhat formal) the basic structure of a society or an organization that enables it to function successfully:This is a trend that threatens the very fabric of society.Patterns the basic structure/framework/form/composition/construction/fabric of something a simple/complex structure/framework/form the economic/political/social structure/framework/composition/fabric of something the chemical/genetic structure/composition of something building/structure
- 3[countable] (formal) a thing that has been built or made The summer house was a simple wooden construction. grammar
- 4[countable] the way in which words are used together and arranged to form a sentence, phrase, etc. grammatical constructions of theory, etc.
- 5[uncountable, countable] the creating of something from ideas, opinions, and knowledge the construction of a new theory meaning
- 6[countable] (formal) the way in which words, actions, statements, etc., are understood by someone synonym interpretation What construction do you put on this letter (= what do you think it means)?
nounjump to other results