- 1the top outside floor of a ship or boat I was the only person on deck at that time of night. As the storm began, everyone disappeared below deck(s).
- 2 one of the floors of a ship, bus, plane, or sports stadium the upper/lower/main deck of a ship We sat on the top deck of the bus. the upper deck of Yankee Stadium see also double-decker, flight deck
- 3(also deck of cards, pack) a complete set of 52 playing cards
- 4 a wooden floor that is built outside the back of a house where you can sit and relax
- 5a part of a sound system that records and/or plays sounds on a disk or tape a cassette/tape deck Idioms
everyone helps or must help, especially in a difficult situation There are 30 people coming to dinner tonight, so it's all hands on deck.
all hands on deck (saying) (humorous)jump to other results
to prepare for an activity, event, etc. by removing anything that is not essential to it
clear the decks (informal)jump to other results
to fall to the ground
hit the deck/dirt/ground (informal)jump to other results
(in baseball) next in line to hit the ball One of their best batters is on deck.
on deckjump to other results