- 1[countable, uncountable] departure (from…) the act of leaving a place; an example of this His sudden departure threw the office into chaos. Flights should be confirmed 48 hours before departure. They had received no news of him since his departure from the island. opposite arrival
- 2 [countable] a plane, train, etc. leaving a place at a particular time arrivals and departures All departures are from Terminal B. the departure lounge/time/gate the departures board opposite arrival
- 3 [countable] departure (from something) an action that is different from what is usual or expected It was a radical departure from tradition. Their latest single represents a significant departure for the band. Idioms
- 1 a place where a trip starts
- 2(formal) an idea, a theory, or an event that is used to start a discussion, an activity, etc.
nounjump to other results
a point of departurejump to other results