- 1 [countable] a flat shallow container for cooking food in or serving it from a glass dish a casserole dish a baking/serving dish They helped themselves from a large dish of pasta.
- 2the dishes [plural] the plates, bowls, cups, etc. that have been used for a meal and need to be washed I'll do the dishes (= wash them).
- 3[countable] food prepared in a particular way as part of a meal a vegetarian/fish dish This makes an excellent hot main dish. I can recommend the chef's dish of the day. see also side dish
- 4[countable] any object that is shaped like a dish or bowl a soap dish see also satellite dish
- 5[countable] (informal) (old-fashioned) a sexually attractive person What a dish!
nounjump to other results