- 1[countable] a part of a port where ships are repaired, or where goods are put onto or taken off them dock workers The ship was in dock. see also dry dock
- 2docks [plural] a group of docks in a port and the buildings around them that are used for repairing ships, storing goods, etc.
- 3 [countable] a long low structure built along, or out from, the shore of a lake, river, or the ocean, used by boats to allow passengers to get on and off synonym wharf, pier
- 4 [countable] a raised platform for loading vehicles or trains
- 5[countable] the part of a court where the person who has been accused of a crime stands or sits during a trial He's been in the dock (= on trial for a crime) several times already.