- 1a piece of wood, glass, etc. that is opened and closed so that people can get in and out of a room, building, car, etc.; a similar thing in a closet a knock on the door to open/shut/close/slam/lock/bolt the door to answer the door (= to go and open it because someone has knocked on it or rung the bell) the front/back door (= at the entrance at the front/back of a building) the bedroom door the door frame a four-door sedan the fridge door Shut the door! Close the door behind you, please. The door closed behind him. see also back door, fire door, French door, open door, revolving door, screen door, sliding door, stage door, swinging door, trapdoor
- 2the space when a door is open Marc appeared through a door at the far end of the room. (informal) She just arrived—she just came in the door. (informal) He walked out the door.
- 3the area close to the entrance of a building There's someone at the door (= at the front door of a house). “Can I help you?” asked the man at the door. see also doorway
- 4a house, room, etc. that is a particular number of houses, rooms, etc. away from another the family that lives three doors up from us Our other branch is just a few doors down the road. see also next door Idioms
- 1to shut a door hard when someone is trying to come in
- 2to refuse to talk to someone or meet them, in a rude way
nounjump to other results
so sick that you may die I suppose you won't be coming to the party if you're at death's door!
at death's door (often humorous)jump to other results
if a lot of people beat a path to someone's door, they are all interested in something that person has to sell, or can do or tell them Top theatrical agents are beating a path to the teenager's door.
beat a path to somebody's doorjump to other results
without the public being allowed to attend or know what is happening; in private The meeting was held behind closed doors.
behind closed doorsjump to other results
in an unfair or indirect way His friends helped him get a job in the company through the back door.
by/through the back doorjump to other results
to try to prevent or avoid loss or damage when it is already too late to do so
close, etc. the barn door after the horse has escapedjump to other results
to make it unlikely that something will happen She was careful not to close the door on the possibility of further talks.
close/shut the door on somethingjump to other results
(of a business, etc.) to stop trading The factory closed its doors for the last time in 2009.
close its doorsjump to other results
(to provide) the means of getting or reaching something; (to create) the opportunity for something The agreement will open the door to increased international trade. Our courses are the door to success in English.
(open) the door to somethingjump to other results
from building to building The trip takes about an hour door to door. a door-to-door salesman
(from) door to doorjump to other results
to succeed in entering an organization, a field of business, etc. that could bring you success I always wanted to work in TV but it took me two years to get a foot in the door.
get/have a/your foot in the doorjump to other results
to have enough money to avoid going hungry; to stop someone feeling hungry
keep the wolf from the door (informal)jump to other results
to say that someone is responsible for something that has gone wrong The blame for the disaster has been laid firmly at the government's door.
lay something at somebody's door (formal)jump to other results
to make sure that there is still the possibility of doing something We have left the door open for further talks.
leave the door open (for something)jump to other results
used to tell someone never to come to your home again Go! And never darken my door again!
never darken my door again (old-fashioned) (humorous)jump to other results
to provide opportunities for someone to do something and be successful
open doors for somebodyjump to other results
not inside a building You should spend more time out of doors in the fresh air.
out of doorsjump to other results
to ask someone to leave, because they are no longer welcome
show somebody the doorjump to other results
shut/slam the door in somebody's facejump to other results
directly to someone's house We promise to deliver to your door within 48 hours of your call.
to somebody's doorjump to other results