- 1[countable] a rough written version of something that is not yet in its final form I've made a rough draft of the letter. This is only the first draft of my speech. the final draft (= the final version) The legislation is still in draft form. a draft constitution/treaty/agreement
- 2 [countable] (finance) a written order to a bank to pay money to someone Payment must be made by bank draft drawn on a U.S. bank.
- 3 the draft [singular] (formal conscription) the practice of ordering people by law to serve in the armed forces
- 4 [singular] a process of picking players for professional sports teams from college or other teams He was the fourth player chosen in the 2007 draft, but the first of his class to reach the major leagues.
- 5 [countable] a flow of cool air in a room Can you shut the door? There's a draft in here. A cold draft of air blew in from the open window. I was sitting in a draft. She shivered in the icy draft.
- 6[countable] (formal) one continuous action of swallowing liquid; the amount swallowed He took a deep draft of his beer.
- 7[countable] (old use or literary) medicine in a liquid form a sleeping draft (= one that makes you sleep) Idioms
nounjump to other results
(of beer) taken from a barrel (= a large container) This beer is not available on draft (= it is available only in bottles or cans).
on draftjump to other results