- 1a person whose job involves designing and building engines, machines, roads, bridges, etc. see also lighting engineer, recording engineer, software engineer, sound engineer
- 2a person who is trained to repair machines and electrical equipment They're sending an engineer to fix the cable.
- 3 a person whose job is to control and repair engines, especially on a ship or an aircraft a flight engineer the chief engineer on a cruise ship
- 4 a person whose job is driving a railroad engine
- 5 a soldier trained to design and build military structures
nounjump to other results