American English

Definition of English adjective from the Oxford Advanced American Dictionary



jump to other results
connected with England, its people or its language the English countryside an English man/woman typically English attitudes an English dictionary More Aboutthe British There is no singular noun which is commonly used to refer to a person from Britain. Instead, the adjective British is used:She’s British. The British have a very odd sense of humor.The adjective English refers only to people from England, not people from the rest of the United Kingdom. They may be Scottish, Welsh, or Northern Irish. The noun Briton is used mainly in newspapers:The survivors of the avalanche included 12 Britons.It also describes the early inhabitants of Britain:the ancient Britons. Brit is informal and can sound negative. Britisher is now very old-fashioned.
See the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary entry: English