- 1easily able or likely to explode an explosive device (= a bomb) an explosive mixture of chemicals Hydrogen is highly explosive.
- 2likely to cause violence or strong feelings of anger or hatred a potentially explosive situation one of the most explosive issues of our time
- 3often having sudden violent or angry feelings an explosive temper
- 4increasing suddenly and rapidly the explosive growth of the export market
- 5(of a sound) sudden and loud There was an explosive crash and then everything fell silent.
- adverb The company has grown explosively over the last two years.Word Familyexplode verbexplosion nounexplosive adjective noununexploded adjective
explosivelyjump to other results