- 1[countable, usually plural] any of the physical or mental abilities that a person is born with the faculty of sight She retained her mental faculties (= the ability to think and understand) until the day she died. to be in full possession of your faculties (= be able to speak, hear, see, understand, etc.) intellectual/critical/artistic faculties
- 2[singular] faculty of/for (doing) something (formal) a particular ability for doing something the faculty of understanding complex issues He had a faculty for seeing his own mistakes.
- 3 [countable, uncountable] the faculty all the teachers of a particular university, college, or school faculty members
- 4[countable] a department or group of related departments in a college or university the Faculty of Law the Arts Faculty
- 5 [countable] all the teachers in a faculty of a college or university the Law School faculty