- 1[countable] feeling (of something) something that you feel through the mind or through the senses a feeling of hunger/excitement/sadness, etc. guilty feelings I've got a tight feeling in my stomach. (informal) “I really resent the way he treated me.” “I know the feeling.” (= I know how you feel) “I'm going to miss you.” “The feeling's mutual (= I feel exactly the same).” idea/belief
- 2[singular] the idea or belief that a particular thing is true or a particular situation is likely to happen synonym impression feeling (of something) He suddenly had the feeling of being followed. feeling (that…) I got the feeling that he didn't like me much. I had a nasty feeling that we were lost. attitude/opinion
- 3[uncountable, countable] an attitude or opinion about something The general feeling of the meeting was against the decision. feeling (about/on something) I don't have any strong feelings about it one way or the other. She had mixed feelings about giving up her job. My own feeling is that we should buy the cheaper one. Public feeling is being ignored by the government. emotions
- 4feelings [plural] a person's emotions rather than their thoughts or ideas He hates talking about his feelings. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings (= offend you). I kept off the subject of divorce so as to spare her feelings.
- 5[uncountable, countable] strong emotion She spoke with feeling about the plight of the homeless. Feelings are running high (= people are very angry or excited). understanding
- 6[uncountable] the ability to understand someone or something, or to do something in a sensitive way He played the piano with great feeling. feeling for somebody/something She has a wonderful feeling for color. sympathy/love
- 7[uncountable, plural] feeling (for somebody/something) sympathy or love for someone or something You have no feeling for the sufferings of others. I still have feelings for her (= feel attracted to her in a romantic way). physical
- 8[uncountable] the ability to feel physically I've lost all feeling in my legs. Feeling gradually began to return to my frozen feet. atmosphere
- 9 [singular] the atmosphere of a place, situation, etc. They managed to recreate the feeling of the original theater. The house had a feeling of neglect about it. Idioms
something that you feel
nounjump to other results
anger between people, especially after an argument or a disagreement There was a lot of bad feeling between the two groups of students.
bad/ill feeling(also bad/ill feelings)jump to other results
used to tell someone you have been arguing with or have beaten in a contest that you would still like to be friendly with them It looks like I'm the winner again. No hard feelings, Dave, right?
no hard feelingsjump to other results
an unpleasant feeling that you get when you realize that something bad has happened or is going to happen I had a horrible sinking feeling when I saw the ambulance outside the house.
a/that sinking feeling(informal)jump to other results
to be careful not to do or say anything that might upset someone
spare somebody's feelingsjump to other results