- 1 [countable] a movie, especially a more serious or artistic one a documentary/feature film a silent film (= one recorded without sound) an international film festival a film crew/critic the film version of the novel
- 2 [uncountable] the art or business of making movies to study film and photography the film industry
- 3 [uncountable] moving pictures of real events, shown for example on television synonym footage television news film of the riots The accident was captured/caught on film. in cameras
- 4 [uncountable] thin plastic that is sensitive to light, used for taking photographs and making movies; a roll of this plastic, used in cameras a roll of film 35 mm film to have film developed thin layer
- 5[countable, usually singular] film (of something) a thin layer of something, usually on the surface of something else synonym coat, coating, layer Everything was covered in a film of dust.
nounjump to other results