- 1 [transitive] filter something to pass liquid, light, etc. through a special device, especially to remove something that is not wanted All drinking water must be filtered. Use a sun block that filters UVA effectively. see also filtration
- 2 [transitive] filter something to use a special program to check the content of e-mails or websites before they are sent to your computer
- 3 [intransitive] + adv./prep. (of people) to move slowly in a particular direction The doors opened and people started filtering in.
- 4[intransitive] + adv./prep. (of information, news, etc.) to slowly become known More details about the crash are filtering through.
- 5[intransitive] + adv./prep. (of light or sound) to come into a place slowly or in small amounts Sunlight filtered in through the curtains. Phrasal Verbsfilter somethingout
NAmE//ˈfɪltər//Verb Forms present simple I / you / we / they filter
he / she / it filters
past simple filtered
-ing form filtering