- 1[usually singular] an exaggerated movement that you make when you want someone to notice you He opened the door for her with a flourish.
- 2 [usually singular] an impressive act or way of doing something The playoffs ended with a flourish for Kobe, when he scored the winning basket in the final second of the game.
- 3details and decoration that are used in speech or writing a speech full of rhetorical flourishes His writing is plain and direct, with no stylistic flourishes.
- 4a curved line that is used as decoration, especially in writing Her signature was a complicated affair of practiced flourishes.
- 5[usually singular] a loud short piece of music, that is usually played to announce an important person or event a flourish of trumpets