- 1 [uncountable, singular] a shine on a smooth surface paper with a high gloss on one side The gel gives your hair a gloss. You can have the photos with either a gloss or a matte finish. Use over your favorite lipstick to add extra gloss.
- 2 [uncountable] (often in compounds) a substance designed to make something shiny lip gloss
- 3 [uncountable, singular] an attractive appearance that is only on the surface and hides what is not so attractive Beneath the gloss of success was a tragic private life. This scandal took the gloss off the occasion.
- 4[countable] gloss (on something) a way of explaining something to make it seem more attractive or acceptable The director puts a Hollywood gloss on the civil war.
- 5[countable] gloss (on something) a note or comment added to a piece of writing to explain a difficult word or phrase