- 1 God [singular] (not used with the) (in Christianity, Islam, and Judaism) the being or spirit that is worshiped and is believed to have created the universe Do you believe in God? Good luck and God bless you. the Son of God (= Christ) Topic CollocationsReligionbeing religious believe in God/Christ/Allah/free will/predestination/heaven and hell/an afterlife/reincarnation be/become an agnostic/an atheist/a believer/a Buddhist/Christian/Hindu/Muslim, etc. convert to/practice a religion/Buddhism/Catholicism/Christianity/Islam/Judaism, etc. go to church/temple (= the synagogue) go to the local church/mosque/synagogue belong to a church/a religious community join/enter the Church/a convent/a monastery/the clergy/the priesthood/a religious sect/a cult praise/worship/obey/serve/glorify Godcelebrations and ritual attend/hold/conduct/lead a service perform a ceremony/a rite/a ritual/a baptism/the Hajj/a bar mitzvah/a bat mitzvah carry out/perform a sacred/burial/funeral/fertility/purification rite/the last rites go on/make a pilgrimage celebrate Christmas/Diwali/Easter/Eid/Hanukkah/Passover/Ramadan observe/break the Sabbath/a fast/Ramadan deliver/preach/hear a sermon lead/address the congregation say/recite a prayer/blessingreligious texts and ideas preach/proclaim/spread the word of God/the Gospel/the message of Islam/a message study/follow the dharma/the teachings of Buddha read/study/understand/interpret scripture/the Bible/the Koran/the Gospel/the Torah be based on/derived from divine revelation commit/consider something heresy/sacrilegereligious belief and experience seek/find/gain enlightenment/wisdom strengthen/lose/question your faith keep/practice/abandon the faith save/purify/lose your soul obey/follow/keep/break/violate a commandment/Islamic law/Jewish law be/accept/do God's will receive/experience divine grace achieve/attain enlightenment/salvation/nirvana undergo a conversion/rebirth/reincarnation hear/answer a prayer commit/confess/forgive a sin do/perform penance
- 2[countable] (in some religions) a being or spirit who is believed to have power over a particular part of nature or who is believed to represent a particular quality Mars was the Roman god of war. the rain god Greek gods see also goddess
- 3[countable] a person who is loved or admired very much by other people To her fans she's a god. see also goddess
- 4[countable] something to which too much importance or attention is given Money is his god. Idioms
- 1used to emphasize that you do not know something God knows what else they might find. “Where are they?” “Goodness knows.” Some people may find the use of God knows offensive.
- 2used to emphasize the truth of what you are saying She ought to pass the exam—goodness knows she's been working hard enough.
nounjump to other results
an event caused by natural forces beyond human control, such as a storm, a flood, or an earthquake
act of God(law)jump to other results
used when you are expressing anger and the fact that you are impatient For the love of God, tell me what he said!
for the love of God(old-fashioned)(informal)jump to other results
used to emphasize what you are saying when you are surprised, shocked, or annoyed God, what a stupid thing to do! Some people find this use offensive.
God,God almighty,God in heaven,good God,my God,oh God(informal)jump to other results
used when you are leaving someone, to say that you hope they will be safe, etc. Goodnight, God bless.
God blessjump to other results
used to say that you hope that something will not happen “Maybe you'll end up as a lawyer, like me.” “God forbid!” Some people find this use offensive.
God/Heaven forbid (that…)(informal)jump to other results
used to say that you are afraid someone will be in danger or that something bad will happen to them God help us if this doesn't work. Some people find this use offensive.
God/Heaven help somebody(informal)jump to other results
God/goodness/Heaven knows(informal)jump to other results
used to show respect when you are talking about someone who is dead
God rest his/her soul,God rest him/her(old-fashioned)(informal)jump to other results
a person who thinks that they are particularly good at something or who thinks that someone will find them particularly attractive He seems to think he's God's gift to women.
God's gift (to somebody/something)(ironic)jump to other results
used to say that you hope that things will happen as you have planned and that there will be no problems I'll be back next week, God willing.
God willing(informal)jump to other results
used to emphasize that what you are saying is true Honest to God, Mary, I'm not joking. Some people find this use offensive.
honest to God/goodnessjump to other results
used especially in questions to show that you are angry, surprised, or shocked What in God's name was that noise? Where in the name of Heaven have you been?
in God's/Heaven's name,in the name of God/Heavenjump to other results
a religious man, especially a priest or a minister
a man of God/the cloth(old-fashioned)(formal)jump to other results
to behave as if you control events or other people's lives It is unfair to ask doctors to play God and end someone's life.
play Godjump to other results
used to say that you very much hope or wish that something will happen Please God, don't let him be dead.
please Godjump to other results
to make someone very frightened, especially in order to make them do something
put the fear of God into somebodyjump to other results
used to swear that what you are saying is true, especially in a court of law
so help me (God)jump to other results
to use the words “God,” “Jesus,” etc. in a way that shows a lack of respect
take God's/the Lord's name in vain(old-fashioned)jump to other results
used to say that you are pleased about something Thank God you're safe! “Thank goodness for that!” she said with a sigh of relief. Thanks heavens I've found my keys. Some people find the phrase thank God offensive.
thank God/goodness/heaven(s) (for something)jump to other results
used to say that you could easily have been in the same difficult or unpleasant situation that someone else is in
there but for the grace of God (go I)(saying)jump to other results
used after a verb to emphasize a particular hope, wish, etc. I wish to God you'd learn to pay attention! Some people find this use offensive.
to God/goodness/Heavenjump to other results