- morally right
- 1[uncountable] behavior that is morally right or acceptable the difference between good and evil Is religion always a force for good?
- 2the good [plural] people who live a moral life; people who are admired for the work they do to help other people a gathering of the great and the good something helpful
- 3[uncountable] something that helps someone or something Cuts have been made for the good of the company. I'm only telling you this for your own good. What's the good of (= how does it help you) earning all that money if you don't have time to enjoy it? What good is it redecorating if you're thinking of moving? see also do-gooder Which Word?good / goodness The noun good means actions and behavior that are morally right. You can talk about a person doing good:The charity does a lot of good. the difference between good and evil. Goodness is the quality of being good. You can talk about a person’s goodness:Her goodness shone through.Idioms
- 1to not be useful; to have no useful effect This gadget isn't much good. It's no good trying to talk me out of leaving. Was his advice ever any good?
- 2to not be interesting or enjoyable His latest movie isn't much good.
used to say that if something happens, it will be good, even if it is not exactly what you were expecting If these measures also reduce unemployment, that is all to the good.
all to the goodjump to other results
be no good, not be any/much goodjump to other results
to have a useful effect; to help someone Do you think these latest changes will do any good? Don't you think talking to her would do some good? The fresh air will do you good (= improve your health).
do good, do somebody goodjump to other results
to make someone feel much better; to improve something A change of job would do you a world of good.
do somebody/something a world of goodjump to other results
permanently This time she's leaving for good (= she will never return). I'd like an excuse to get rid of him for good.
for goodjump to other results
no problem is so bad that it does not bring some advantage to someone
it's an ill wind (that blows nobody any good) (saying)jump to other results
used to say that someone now has a particular amount of money that they did not have before We are $500 to the good.
to the goodjump to other results
doing something wrong or dishonest Those kids are always up to no good.
up to no good (informal)jump to other results