- 1[countable, usually singular] grip (on somebody/something) an act of holding someone or something tightly; a particular way of doing this synonym grasp Keep a tight grip on the rope. to loosen/release/relax your grip She tried to get a grip on the icy rock. The climber slipped and lost her grip. She struggled from his grip. Try adjusting your grip on the racket. control/power
- 2 [singular] grip (on somebody/something) control or power over someone or something The home team took a firm grip on the game. We need to tighten the grip we have on the market. The president needs to keep a tight grip on his party. understanding
- 3[singular] grip (on something) an understanding of something synonym grasp I couldn't get a grip on what was going on. You need to keep a good grip on reality in this job. moving without slipping
- 4 [countable, uncountable] the ability of something to move over a surface without slipping These tires give the bus a better grip in slippery conditions. This type of sole gives a good grip on snow and ice. part of object
- 5[countable] a part of something that has a special surface so that it can be held without the hands slipping the grip on a golf club job in the movies
- 6 [countable] a person who prepares and moves the cameras, and sometimes the lighting equipment, when a movie is being made bag
- 7[countable] (old-fashioned) a large soft bag, used when traveling Idioms
holding tightlynounjump to other results
to begin to understand and deal with something difficult I'm slowly coming to grips with the language. They have so far failed to come to grips with the ecological problems.
come to grips with somethingjump to other results
to improve your behavior or control your emotions after being afraid, upset, or angry I have to get a grip on myself, he told himself firmly. (informal) Get a grip! (= make an effort to control your emotions)
get a grip (on yourself)jump to other results
experiencing something unpleasant that cannot be stopped a country in the grip of recession
in the grip of somethingjump to other results
to become unable to understand or control a situation Sometimes I feel like I'm losing my grip on reality.
lose your grip (on something)jump to other results