- 1 a written promise given by a company that something you buy will be replaced or repaired without payment if it goes wrong within a particular period synonym warranty We provide a 5-year guarantee against rust. The watch is still under guarantee. The television comes with a year's guarantee. a money-back guarantee
- 2a firm promise that you will do something or that something will happen synonym assurance to give a guarantee of good behavior He gave me a guarantee that it would never happen again. They are demanding certain guarantees before they sign the treaty.
- 3something that makes something else certain to happen guarantee (of something) Career success is no guarantee of happiness. guarantee (that…) There's no guarantee that she'll come (= she may not come).
- 4money or something valuable that you give or promise to a bank, for example, to make sure that you will do what you have promised We had to offer our house as a guarantee when we got the loan.
- 5 a written promise to pay back money that someone else owes, or do something that someone else promised to do, if they cannot do it themselves A close relative, usually a parent, can provide a guarantee for the loan.
nounjump to other results