- 1[countable] the tube in the body through which food passes when it leaves the stomach synonym intestine
- 2guts [plural] the organs in and around the stomach, especially in an animal I'll only cook fish if the guts have been removed.
- 3[countable] (informal) a person's stomach, especially when it is large synonym belly Have you seen the gut on him! a beer gut (= caused by drinking beer)
- 4 guts [plural] (informal) the courage and determination that it takes to do something difficult or unpleasant He doesn't have the guts to walk away from a high-paying job.
- 5 [countable] the place where your natural feelings that make you react in a particular way are thought to be I had a feeling in my gut that something was wrong.
- 6guts [plural] the most important part of something the guts of the problem see also catgut Idioms
- 1to laugh very hard The movie was so funny I busted my gut laughing.
- 2to put a lot of effort into something We busted a gut trying to fix the car, but it just wouldn’t move. I busted a gut to get you out of this mess!
bust a gut(also bust your gut)(informal)jump to other results
to dislike someone very much
hate somebody's guts(informal)jump to other results
to work very hard to achieve something I ran my guts out and only finished fourth.
run/sweat/work, etc. your guts out(informal)jump to other results
to tell someone everything you know or feel about something, because you are upset He has spilled his guts in his new autobiography.
spill your guts (to somebody)(informal)jump to other results