- 1Heaven [uncountable] (used without the) (in some religions) the place believed to be the home of God where good people go when they die the kingdom of heaven I feel like I've died and gone to heaven.
- 2[uncountable, countable] (informal) a place or situation in which you are very happy This isn't exactly my idea of heaven! It was heaven being away from the office for a week. The island is truly a heaven on earth.
- 3the heavens [plural] (literary) the sky Four tall trees stretched up to the heavens. Idioms
- 1used to emphasize that you do not know something God knows what else they might find. “Where are they?” “Goodness knows.” Some people may find the use of God knows offensive.
- 2used to emphasize the truth of what you are saying She ought to pass the exam—goodness knows she's been working hard enough.
- 1to have a strong unpleasant smell
- 2to seem to be very dishonest or morally unacceptable
nounjump to other results
used to emphasize what you are saying when you are surprised, shocked, or annoyed God, what a stupid thing to do! Some people find this use offensive.
God, God almighty, God in heaven, good God, my God, oh God (informal)jump to other results
used to say that you are afraid someone will be in danger or that something bad will happen to them God help us if this doesn't work. Some people find this use offensive.
God/Heaven help somebody (informal)jump to other results
God/goodness/Heaven knows (informal)jump to other results
used to say that you are frightened of the idea of something happening Heaven forbid that students are encouraged to think!
Heaven forbid/forfend (that)… (humorous or old use)jump to other results
used to show that you are surprised or annoyed Good heavens, what are you doing?
(Good) Heavens!, Heavens above! (informal)jump to other results
it began to rain heavily
the heavens openedjump to other results
used especially in questions to show that you are angry, surprised, or shocked What in God's name was that noise? Where in the name of Heaven have you been?
in God's/Heaven's name, in the name of God/Heavenjump to other results
extremely happy Now that he's been promoted he's in seventh heaven.
in seventh heavenjump to other results
(especially of a marriage or other relationship) seeming to be perfect Everyone thought that theirs was a marriage made in heaven.
made in heavenjump to other results
to do everything you possibly can in order to achieve something
move heaven and earthjump to other results
smell, stink, etc. to high heaven (informal)jump to other results
used to say that you are pleased about something Thank God you're safe! “Thank goodness for that!” she said with a sigh of relief. Thanks heavens I've found my keys. Some people find the phrase thank God offensive.
thank God/goodness/heaven(s) (for something)jump to other results