- 1an act of hitting someone or something with your hand or with an object held in your hand Give it a good hit. He made the winning hit.
- 2an occasion when something that has been thrown, fired, etc. at an object reaches that object The bomber scored a direct hit on the bridge. The aircraft suffered seven hits in the raid. We finished the first round with a score of two hits and six misses. something popular
- 3 a person or thing that is very popular The duo was a real hit in last year's show. a hit musical The movie was a hit for him in 2008. Her new series is a smash hit. pop music
- 4a successful pop song or record They are about to release an album of their greatest hits. She played all her old hits. a hit record/single computing
- 5a result of a search on a computer, for example on the Internet of drug
- 6(slang) an amount of an illegal drug that is taken at one time a hit of cocaine/heroin murder
- 7 (slang) a violent crime or murder see also hit man Idioms
act of hittingnounjump to other results
to be liked very much by someone when they first meet you You've made a big hit with Bill.
be/make a hit (with somebody)jump to other results
to be damaged or badly affected by something The airline industry took a hit last year.
take a hitjump to other results