- 1having a hole or empty space inside a hollow ball/center/tube The tree trunk was hollow inside. Her stomach felt hollow with fear.
- 2(of parts of the face) sinking deeply into the face hollow eyes/cheeks hollow-eyed from lack of sleep
- 3[usually before noun] (of sounds) making a low sound like that made by an empty object when it is hit a hollow groan
- 4[usually before noun] not sincere hollow promises/threats a hollow laugh Their appeals for an end to the violence had a hollow ring. His promise rang hollow (= did not sound sincere).
- 5[usually before noun] without real value to win a hollow victory
- adverb to laugh hollowly
- noun [uncountable] the hollowness of the victory
adjectivejump to other results
hollowlyjump to other results
hollownessjump to other results