- 1[countable] a short jump by a person on one foot He crossed the hall with a hop, skip, and a jump.
- 2 [countable] a short jump by an animal or a bird with all or both feet together
- 3[countable] a short journey, especially by plane
- 4[countable] a tall climbing plant with green female flowers that are shaped like cones
- 5hops [plural] the green female flowers of the hop plant that have been dried, used for making beer
- 6 [countable] an occasion when a ball bounces
- 7[countable] (old-fashioned) (informal) a social event at which people dance in an informal way see also hip-hop Idioms
to surprise someone by doing something when they are not expecting it and not ready for it
catch somebody on the hop (informal)jump to other results
a short distance It's just a hop, skip, and jump from here.
a hop, skip, and (a) jump (informal)jump to other results