- 1showing you do not think that you are as important as other people synonym modest Be humble enough to learn from your mistakes. my humble tribute to this great man see also humility
- 2(ironic or humorous) used to suggest that you are not as important as other people, but in a way that is not sincere or not very serious In my humble opinion, you were in the wrong. My humble apologies. I did not understand.
- 3having a low rank or social position a man of humble birth/origins a humble occupation the daughter of a humble shopkeeper
- 4(of a thing) not large or special in any way synonym modest a humble farmhouse The company has worked its way up from humble beginnings to become the market leader. Most of us have never considered the humble potato as a precious gift from nature.
- NAmE//ˈhʌmbli//adverb I would humbly suggest that there is something wrong here. “Sorry,” she said humbly. Idioms
humblyjump to other results
to say and show that you are sorry for a mistake that you made
eat crow (also eat humble pie)jump to other results