- 1happening or done without delay synonym instant an immediate reaction/response to take immediate action RAM stores information for immediate access.
- 2[usually before noun] existing now and needing urgent attention Our immediate concern is to help the families of those who died. The effects of global warming, while not immediate, are potentially catastrophic. The hospital says she's out of immediate danger. The report focuses on some of the more immediate problems facing us.
- 3[only before noun] next to or very close to a particular place or time in the immediate vicinity The prospects for the immediate future are good. in the immediate aftermath of the war The director is standing on her immediate right. my immediate predecessor in the job (= the person who had the job just before me)
- 4[only before noun] nearest in relationship or rank The funeral was attended by her immediate family (= her parents, children, brothers, and sisters) only. He is my immediate superior (= the person directly above me) in the company.
- 5[only before noun] having a direct effect The immediate cause of death is unknown. Idioms
adjectivejump to other results
starting now; starting from… The government has cut interest rates with immediate effect.
with immediate effect(formal)jump to other results