- 1 used to emphasize a positive statement or answer “Was he very angry?” “Indeed he was.” “Do you agree?” “Yes, indeed/Indeed I do.” “You said you'd help?” “I did indeed—yes.” It is indeed a remarkable achievement.
- 2 used after very and an adjective or adverb to emphasize a statement, description, etc. Thank you very much indeed! I was very sad indeed to hear of your father's death.
- 3 (formal) used to add information to a statement I don't mind at all. Indeed, I would be delighted to help.
- 4 (informal) used to show that you are surprised at something or that you find something ridiculous A ghost indeed! I've never heard anything so silly.
- 5(informal) used when you are repeating a question that someone has just asked and showing that you do not know the answer “Why did he do it?” “Why indeed?” Idioms
adverbjump to other results
a friend who gives you help when you need it (is a true friend)
a friend in need (is a friend indeed) (saying)jump to other results